Total Pageviews

Thursday 22 December 2011

On a roll?

We are fast approaching the end of 2011 and I feel it's appropriate to end the year with a blog post.  It's Christmas time, and whilst it may be perceived "the most wonderful time of the year," for me it feels less exciting each year.  This is due to the childish awe and wonder I used to have about the possibility of a fat man in a red suit squeezing down the chimney to deliver presents.  Also, as a child you have no worries really, you're only concerned about what you may receive on Christmas day.

This year I have managed to find work over Christmas.  It's in Tesco and I push trollies.  Yeah, spectacular isn't it?  My shifts tend to last between 6-9 hours, and end around midnight.  I actually quite like the work though.  Its simple, straight forward and all the men I work with are funny and friendly.  The women are nice too ;)  One guy sings the song: "we're cleaning up other people's shit" which causes much amusement.  It's a boring job, but the pay is good and it means I'm not stuck in doors just lazing around.  However that's what we all want to do at this time of year.  Yeah, so my life is going quite well at the moment then; I'm on a roll.  Or am I?  Well in spite of finding work, I have been neglecting revision which is arguably more important because that will ensure I am not doing this kind of work all my life.  So how are you doing?

It's unfortunate that the true message of Christmas is sometimes lost behind the commercial hustle and bustle.  It would be nice if there was less emphasis on getting presents, because at the end of the day what really matters is family.

Modern Christmas songs don't seem to cut it really.  The classics are the ones we really enjoy and listen to year after year.  Everyone has their own personal favourite.  For me though, it has to be "Fairytale of New York."

I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year.  Make sure you have lots of fun, drink too much, tell many jokes and most importantly, make sure you relax.

- Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment